Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I often make this quick salad to eat with a BBQ.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 (750 g) can four-bean mix (or mix of beans of your choice)
- 1 small salad onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan, add the diced bacon, and cook until crisp and brown.
- Set the pan aside.
- Rinse and drain the beans.
- Place the beans and remaining ingredients (including the bacon and any bacon grease) in a bowl.
- Mix well and serve.
- This is best served at room temperature rather than chilling.
This bean salad was awesome! I loved it! I used 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar (I misread the recipe) and it was great. For the beans I had a smaller can of 4 bean mix and one of red kidney beans so I mixed the two of those. The onion, parsley and garlic all got whizzed together in the food processor in no time flat so it was fast. I ate nearly the whole lot myself as I'm the main bean eater around here. This is a great healthy side dish and makes a great change to the often unhealthy BBQ choices. Thanks Jan, I'll make this often!
Outstanding! Spinner has wowed us with this one before, but this time I made it myself. No fresh parsley, so used basil instead with a yummy result. I also think this dish could be dressed differently for a variation on flavours; next time I will try fresh lemon juice & oregano for a greek twist, thanks Jan!
This was a great salad! I don't care for mayo which really limits me at times...great to brown bag recipe. Thanks!