Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is just a wonderfully refreshing side dish for summer barbecues. I never have any leftovers!! My daughter-in-law would eat the entire dish if I would let her. It's a great dish to take to potlucks -- it is prepared ahead of time so the beans can marinate in the dressing -- so there is no last minute preparation.
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can yellow beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped parsley
- Mix all vegetables in a bowl.
- Combine ingredients for dressing; mixing well. Drizzle over vegetables.
- Cover and marinate several hours or overnight, stirring several times.
- Be sure and stir just before serving to cover all vegetables.
really excellent! Needed less servings so left out lima beans, and of course did not have pepper (when will I learn to recipezaar BEFORE going to grocery store?). Added ground fresh pepper and celery. Delicious. Thanks for posting!
I love marinated veggie salads for flavor and their make-ahead convenience and this one is certainly a creative twist on an old favorite. I've been making my grandma's version of bean salad for decades but your combination of mustard, tarragon, parsley and basil really gives this salad a new and wonderful flavor. The textures were fun too - from the crispy peppers and onions, and the firm green and yellow beans, to the soft limas and kidneys that absorbed the tarragon flavors so nicely. Out of personal preference I used low salt products and rinsed and drained the kidneys and limas. With lower salt and loads of fiber this turned out to be as healthful as it is delicious. Thanks Bobbie #3.
This is by far the BEST Bean salad in the whole wide world. I can truly eat this salad by the bowl full. Not sure if it is the dressing that ties it all together or the other items, not just beans. For the best flavor- definately let the dressing sit as long as you can. I have tried using it 2 hours later and it just wasnt the best. And I am not biased with this being my Mother In Law either!!!