1/1 Photo of Bean, Potato and Sauerkraut Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Raining 6 days straight here in the northeast and suddenly I'm thinking about warm comforting soups as a way to warm from the inside out. After pulling out one of my soup cookbooks and came across this one and decided to post it for the Zaar World Tour. You can make this vegetarian by omitting the prosciutto. I have not tried this one so please feel free to share your comments and sugeestions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces dried cranberry beans
- 4 potatoes, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 ounces prosciutto, fat trimmed and reserved
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1Soak beans overnight in 4 cups of water. Rinse and drain.
- 2Place the beans, potatoes, celery, onion, 1 clove of garlic and 1 bay leaf into a large soup pot. Add water to cover over plus 2 inches. Bring water to boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 90 minutes.
- 3In a small skillet, render the reserved fat from the prosciutto. Add flour and stir until browned. Remove fat pieces.
- 4Drain the sauerkraut, patting if needed. Place in a sauce pan with second clove of garlic and bay leaf, as well as remaining prosciutto. Begin heating and add the browned flour (roux). Cook for an hour over very low flame.
- 5Remove 3 cups of soup from pot and blend in a food processor. Return to the soup pot. Add in the sauerkraut. Cook for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the oil and cumin.
- 6Serve warm not boiling hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean, Potato and Sauerkraut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 278.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: