This tasty recipe is from Chef Jennifer Iserloh of New York City (aka "Skinny Chef") and was printed in this month's "Self Magazine" (February 2009). Serve with whole-wheat buns and top with barbecue sauce, lettuce and tomato.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (if you're vegetarian, use veg. Worcestershire sauce)
- 6 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pepper begins to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beans, paprika, garlic powder and black pepper. Cook, smashing beans with the back of a spoon, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs. Form into 4 patties.
- Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and cook burgers until brown and feels firm, 6 to 7 minutes each side.