Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful vegetarian recipe that is wonderful served with warm pita bread or Toast. Cook time is only time to chill; there is no cooking in this recipe.
- 14 ounces canned mixed beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 12 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- shredded scallion (to garnish)
- First rinse your beans THOROUGHLY with cold water and drain well.
- Place beans in a bowl and mash with potato masher.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, scallions, and mix well until pretty smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put in a serving bowl and chill for no less than 30 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
I really liked the flavor of this. I guess I ended up making a triple batch because we don't have single cans of mixed beans where I live. I used garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, and small red beans. What a great accent of color the red beans gave to the entire mix. That coupled with the fresh scalion and cilantro really gave it all a terrific flavor. I only had one lemon on hand, so I used some lemon and lime zest to make up that extra citrus flavor since I used more beans than originally called for. I ate mine with low fat triscuts, but truthfully, it was great all by itself too!
this is good! I used a mixed can of beans and the only thing I did different is I used a small can of mild jalepeno diced peppers and added 2 cloves minced garlic. this gave it a mexican flare and I served it as a side with burritos. We scooped it up with nacho chips,,,mmmmmm very good
This was really tasty and versatile and has the consistency of hummus. I used a can of five bean mix.