Recipe by Bergy
These go over well as an appetizer or part of a meal. They are a cousin to a burrito. Sometimes I use Spring Roll Wrappers this make them much lighter and I prefer it.. I usually bake them instead of frying them
Top Review by KeyWee
Although I did change this recipe a bit, ALL the credit goes to Bergy for the idea and they were a huge hit at my party, especially with the vegetarian crowd! I used the 3" square wonton wrappers, a "smear" of refried beans, the cheeses as posted, and then SURPRISE! a pickled jalapeno slice in the center. I baked until golden brown (about 15 minues) and BOOM! they were gone. (Made about 48 small appeti-zaars.) I never even got ONE for myself. But everyone loved them and wanted the recipe. Like I've said before, Bergy - you're a genius. Thanks!!
- 12 egg roll wraps
- 3 cups lightly packed jalapeno jack cheese
- 3 cups lightly packed monterey jack cheese or 3 cups lightly packed cheddar cheese
- 0.5 (19 ounce) can refried beans (use a bit more if you want)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sunflower oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cheeses together in a bowl.
- place wrappers, one at a time on your counter.
- Put a half cup of cheese in the center of the wrapper.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp refried beans.
- Now to roll them, Have a corner of the wrapper pointing toward you, Fold in the two sides, Moisten all around the edge with water (use your finger), Bring up the far corner, seal with water, Continue to wrap the wrapper by rolling the folded edge toward the one corner that is sticking out, Seal the flap to the wrapper with water, Before this final step think of an envelope and you are rolling the bottom of the envelope toward the flap.
- Now you can store the wrappers in a plastic bag in the fridge until you want to cook them or cook them now.
- You can now fry them in the heated oil, the oil should be hot enoughif you put a corner of the wrapperin it it sizzles.
- Cook on one side and turn when bottom is golden.
- Cook until both sides are golden.
- OR Brush each wrapper with oil and put on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in 375F degrees oven until they are nicely browned.
- Serve with Salsa.