Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother got this recipe from our Seventh-day Adventist church when they had some nutritionists come to visit and do a lesson on food and nutrition. Enjoy!
- 4 cups pinto beans (or any bean)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bean water, saved from cooked beans
- 1⁄2 cup brewers compressed yeast cake (from the health food store)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- Soak the beans for approximately 8-10 hours and rinse and put them with fresh water every 2-3 hours That helps with the gas formation, the more you rinse. If soaking overnight, just try to change the water at least once before going to bed.
- Rinse off the beans and cook in crock pot until tender, usually approximately 6-8 hours on high. Save 1 cup of water that the beans were cooked in, drain beans.
- While beans are cooling a bit, saute' chopped onion in the olive oil, until soft and slightly golden.
- In blender, blend beans, water, and salt.
- In large bowl, mix oats and brewers yeast flakes with onions and then pour in the blended beans, into this mixture. At this point mix in parsley or any type of seasonings that you want to try.
- Bake in loaf pan, that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, in 250 F oven for 60 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then slice, these sliced patties have excellent protein. .