Recipe by carole in orlando
A healthy, flavorful soup. I love fennel and this is a favorite of mine. This is from Fix It And Forget It, Lightly and I adapted it to our taste.
Top Review by dancerimma
This was fantastic! We got fennel in our CSA share and I had no idea what to do with it, as my husband isn't too fond of it on its own. This was perfect! It brought out the flavor of the sausage. We used chicken italian sausage, so it was a bit lighter and less greasy. Really a fantastic weeknight meal.
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links or 1⁄2 lb loose meat sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thin
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach or 1⁄2 a bag frozen chopped spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake sausage links at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove and slice into coin size pieces.
- If using loose sausage meat, saute until done and drain well.
- Saute onions and fennel in oil in a skillet until soft.
- Combine onions, fennel, broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings in a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, or low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Can also be made in a regular soup pot on the stove if desired.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, or if using frozen until heated through.