Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 1 min
A wonderful vegetarian stir-fry dish, and healthy to boot!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 scallion
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 slices gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, florets and stems
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb medium firm tofu, cubed
- Put cornstarch into a cup and slowly add 1/4 cup of the vegetable stock (make sure it is room temperature or cooler) and mix well.
- Add wine, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Mix well.
- Cut scallion into 1 1/2-inch lengths.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok over medium heat. When hot, put in ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Put in scallion and broccoli.
- Fry for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup vegetable stock and the salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat for a minute, until broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Remove broccoli with a slotted spoon.
- Turn heat to low and add tofu.
- Let it heat through.
- Add cornstarch mixture.Stir very gently.
- Put broccoli back in wok.
- Serve as soon as the sauce is thick and everything is heated through.
This was very tasty. I did modify it a bit, according to what I had around. One half a yellow onion instead of scallions and the addition of a green pepper on the verge of shrivelling up. The sauce was nice though. I'll use that again!
Easy, delicious stir-fry. I made this using mlok's Golden Fried Tofu Bites Golden Fried Tofu Bites. The cornstarch/flour mix in the tofu bites added a bit of thickener to this stir-fry and so I added some extra broth.
This was inexpensive, quick, easy, and tasty. I doubled it to serve 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids), and had a bit left over, so I would say that it serves 2-3 as written.