Recipe by mommyoffour
Bean curd is a delicious, healthy alternative to meat. Mixed with crisp stir fried vegetables, it makes an ideal light meal or appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb bean curd, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 1 celery, sliced
- 2 small red bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 9 ounces snow peas, trimmed and halved
- 4 1⁄2 ounces broccoli, trimmed and divided into florets
- 4 1⁄2 ounces thin green beans, halved
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 pinch ground star anise
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy bottomed skillet or wok, until hot.
- Add the crushed garlic to the skillet or wok and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the bean curd in batches and stir-fry over gentle heat, until golden on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, red bell peppers, snow peas, broccoli, and green beans to the pan and stir fry for about 2-3 minutes, or until tender but crisp.
- Add the oyster sauce, tamarind concentrate, fish sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar, vinegar, and star anise, mixing well to blend.
- Stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water and add to the pan with the stir-fried bean curd.
- Stir-fry gently, until the sauce boils and thickens slightly.
- Transfer to warm plates and serve immediately.