Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Healthy, Low-Fat Southwestern Veggie Stew. This recipe comes from a book I picked up while at the Grand Canyon called Healthy Southwestern Cooking.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups pinto beans, cooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon achiote
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- Heat a dutch oven until a drop of water quickly sizzles away. Add canola oil and coat skillet bottom. Add the onion, garlic and tomatoes, and satue until onion is limp. Add beans, water, basil, oregano, and white pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add red bell pepper, squash, corn, achiote, and salt substitute and simmer for 10 more minutes.