Recipe by Okie Chef
In elementary school we always had bean chowder on Fridays. It was one of the few things I liked on the lunch menu, along with the cinnamon rolls that were served with it for desert. After looking for umpteen years I finally found both recipes. So I'm posting them here for safe keeping.
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 2⁄3 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in 3 quarts of water or more depending on dryness of beans.
- When beans are nearly done, add 1/2 tablespoon chili powder and 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- While beans are cooking, combine meat, onions, and garlic; brown in skillet, stirring frequently until done.
- Add remaining ingredients to meat mixture.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine meat mixture and beans.
- May have to add more water for desired thickness or more chili powder for desired seasoning.