1/1 Photo of Bean & Cheese Burritos W/ Tex-Mex Chili Sauce
Mims & Squims's Note:
I'm addicted to Tex Mex, and it's slowly but surely clogging my arteries. I'm told these are called "wet burritos," although I have yet to find a Tex Mex restaurant that calls them that. Anyhow, here's my lower in fat version of a dish I simply can't live without. You can use pre-prepared beans and rice or give it your own flair by making them from scratch. Add or omit ingredients as you like to create your own perfect burrito!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups Spanish rice
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat cheddar cheese (separated) or 1 1/4 cups Mexican blend cheese (separated)
- 2 large flour tortillas (12-inch or larger)
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Prepare sauce: Heat canola oil in saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder to form thick paste; cook 30-60 seconds.
- 3Add chili powder, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, salt, & garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, & simmer 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- 4Assemble burritos: Lay out one tortilla. Spoon 3/4 c refried beans, 3/4 c spanish rice, and 1/2 c cheese down center of tortilla.
- 5To roll , fold one side over filling, parallel to filling. Fold up bottom & top then fold over other side to make a wide burrito.
- 6Place seam side down in large baking dish. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for second burrito.
- 7Pour sauce over burritos and top with 1/4 c cheese.
- 8Bake 25-30 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and pile on the desired toppings.
- 10Burritos can be cut in half and serve 4 people, or can be served whole to two *really* hungry people.
- 11And don't forget the forks!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean & Cheese Burritos W/ Tex-Mex Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 763.9
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 3808.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: