The recipe for charred corn came out of Kate Heyhoe's book, Macho Nachos. I second the author's opinion that "charred corn gives nachos a wonderfully smoky flavor and a visually rustic appeal." For even tastier nachos, make Homemade Tortilla Chips (#4378) using either flour or corn tortillas. It's truly worth the extra time to make the nachos using these homemade chips. I like to really pile on vegetarian or fat-free refried beans for a hefty nacho--no wimpy nachos! The homemade chips seem thicker & stronger than many grocery store chips, so they can hold plenty of ingredients without breaking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tortilla chips (corn or flour)
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 1/2-2 ounces grated cheddar cheese or 1 1/2-2 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon other vegetable oil
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn (can also use 1 3/4 cups fresh or thawed frozen kernels, rinsed & well-drained)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- adobo seasoning (optional) or salt (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves
- jalapeno (optional)
- 1Beforehand and if desired, make Homemade Tortilla Chips (#4328), seasoning them lightly before baking with Adobo or salt, if desired.
- 2Beforehand, prepare charred corn as follows: warm 1 tsp oil in large skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat. When hot, dump in onion & corn. Stir to mix, then cook in single undisturbed layer for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly charred. Stir again & cook in a single layer for another 3 minutes, or until the kernels range from golden to charred. Season lightly with Adobo or salt if desired. Let cool slightly before using.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4To make nachos, assemble as follows: first, apply a generous, flat layer of refried beans to each tortilla chip.
- 5Next, spoon on some charred corn, pressing it gently into the refried beans to help it adhere.
- 6Lightly sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- 7Bake nachos for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted & bubbly.
- 8Garnish nachos with jalapenos if desired & plenty of cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean & Charred Corn Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.1
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.2 mg
- Sodium 530.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 15.0 g