Recipe by AmandaInOz
One dish vegetarian meal that's quick and easy to throw together. Feel free to substitute canned tomatoes for fresh.
Top Review by Prose
I made this as a vegetarian entree for Christmas eve. It went over way better with the family than other veggie casseroles I have made in the past. Unfortunately, one of my eggplants turned up missing, so I ended up using 1 eggplant and 1 large zucchini. It was delicious. I will definitely make it again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 -2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 2 large roasted red peppers, cut into large slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Saute onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Add the rosemary, sage, paprika and tomatoes. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the chickpeas and kidney beans. Set aside.
- Saute eggplant slices in oil until golden. Remove from pan and drain well on paper towels.
- In a large shallow ovenproof dish, layer the bean mixture with the red pepper slices and eggplant, finishing with the red pepper and eggplant.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Serve with a green salad.