1/8 Photos of Bean Burrito Casserole
Top with loads of sour cream and chopped tomatoes for an easy delicious supper! From Gourmet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the filling
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (1 lb) cans black beans or 2 (1 lb) cans pinto beans or 2 (1 lb) cans pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 jalapeno chiles, fresh or pickled,seeded and chopped (wear rubber gloves) (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed (7- to 8-inch)
- 1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 6 ounces)
- guacamole, as accompaniments
- salsa, as accompaniments
- 1Make the filling: In a large heavy skillet cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the beans, and mash about half of them coarse with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 2Add the tomato sauce, the cumin, the chilies, and salt and black pepper to taste, simmer the mixture, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it is thickened slightly, and stir in the coriander.
- 3Working with 1 warmed tortilla at a time and keeping the others covered, spread about 3 tablespoons of the filling down the center of each tortilla and roll the tortillas, enclosing the filling but keeping the ends open.
- 4Arrange the burritos, seam sides down, in one layer in a baking dish, sprinkle them with the Monterey Jack, and bake them, covered with foil, in the middle of a preheated 350°F.
- 5oven for 10 minutes.
- 6Serve the burritos with the guacamole and the salsa.
- 7Makes 12 burritos, serving 6.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean Burrito Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.7
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.1 mg
- Sodium 750.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 26.2 g