Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 fresh jalapeno peppers or 4 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed (8-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until the onion is tender.
- Add the beans; mash about half of the beans with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato sauce, cumin, jalapenos, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened slightly.
- Stir in the coriander.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla; then roll up the tortilla.
- Arrange rolled up tortillas, seam side down in the large baking dish, and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the burritos.
- Bake, covered with foil at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with guacamole and salsa.
Well, I made this 2 ways because the ingredient list lists cheese and the instructions say to bake until cheese is melted... but don't say where to put the cheese. So, I made this one time with the cheese in the burrito and one time with the cheese sprinkled on top. Both ways were great, though we were partial to the cheese being baked on top. The sauce is spicy, but not too hot... and tempers the creamy black beans. Served this with guacamole and diced tomato. Requires a fork to eat gracefully.... it's a rich, saucy, cheesy, yummy mess that makes you want to lick your plate!
I made this recipe with the cheese on top...and it still came out great...next time please specify in the instructions where to insert the cheese it may seem minimal, but to a novice cook direction is everything..but all in all a great recipe
I made this for dinner tonight using 2 jalapenos and 2 sweeter peppers. I also used low fat cheese and low carb tortillas. I didn't mash the beans very much because I don't care for the texture of them. We assembled the burritos and topped them with the cheese before putting them in the oven. Served them with homemade salsa and low fat sour cream. It was a terrific meal that the whole family enjoyed.