Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from my 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian cookbook. “Boquitas means ‘little mouthfuls’ in Spanish. These crisp, fan-shaped little treats are a great way to use up leftover beans. Serve them with salsa or with your favorite guacamole.”
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 12 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- salsa, to serve
- guacamole, to serve
- In a medium bowl, mash refried beans with a fork to loosen them.
- Cut tortillas in half. Fill each half with 1 heaping teaspoon of refried beans.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of grated cheese. Fold tortilla over to form a fan shape.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil until thermometer registers 350*.
- Fry boquitas in batches without crowding, squeezing edges closed with tongs when you turn them, until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer boquitas to paper towels to drain. Serve hot with salsa and/or guacamole on the side.