Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Hearty Vegetarian Soup
Make and share this Bean & Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried beans (Trader Joe's has a 17 bean version)
- 64 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 18 ounces canned tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- Soak beans overnight in a large pot of water, then rinse and drain.
- Pour 4 cups of Veg. or chicken broth into a pot with the beans.
- In a seperate pan, cook onion, celery, carrot, pepper, basil and garlic in olive oil until soft. Combine this mixture and remaining ingredients into the bean pot and cover with more broth. Simmer covered for about an hour to desired tenderness. Be sure to occasionally check liquid level and add more broth if necessary. Salt tand pepper to desired taste.