Recipe by Irmgard
I was given the recipe for this wonderful soup, along with a bag of bean mix (red kidney beans, romano beans, navy beans, green and red lentils, split green and yellow peas and pearl barley) by a very dear friend many years ago for Christmas! I have since made it many times. While not exactly a soup for summer, I have made it on occasion when I didn't know what else to cook. I eat soup all year round!
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
Excellent soup! I used the ingredients that were listed but used a quick soak method for the beans because I kept forgetting to soak them overnight. I'll probably be adding more veggies to the left over soup.
- 354.88 ml 10 bean soup mix
- 1419.54 ml cold water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 hot Italian sausages or 3 italian sweet sausage, sliced
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 0.25 ml ground cloves
- 29.58 ml dry sherry (optional)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the bean mix, cover generously with cold water, and let soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, combine the bean mixture with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Add the onions, carrots, sausage, tomatoes, chili powder and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the flavours are well blended.
- Stir in the sherry, lemon juice, salt and pepper.