Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been making this soup for a long time now and everyone likes it. Very tasty if made with smoked bacon.You can use any beans you like.Can't remember how i came by it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 120 g lardons or 120 g streaky bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 700 ml chicken stock (i use a cube)
- 400 g rinsed butter beans or 400 g haricot beans
- 10 g basil
- Heat the oil and add the bacon and cook until the fat begins to run.
- then add the chopped onion, garlic, celery,carrot, and cook for 5 min's med heat.
- Then add tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil and simmer for 20min's
- Stir in the beans and reheat until boiling
- Add seasoning and chopped basil and serve with some nice crusty bread.
Thank you RecipeZaar for featuring Tea Jenny as Chef of the Day--your soup recipes sound delicious, and this one proves they are. Fast, easy, and the soup looks and tastes so good. It goes into our soup rotation now, and I look forward to trying the others.
We loved this soup- filling and tasty on a cold night! Will definately be making this one again! Made for PAC Spring 2009.
This recipe was included in Book#228608. May 3, 2008 -- What a great recipe! Based on the other reviews, I doubled the recipe in order to freeze some, and I'm so glad I did. The smoky bacon is a wonderful addition to this delicious soup. I didn't add the olive oil and only used half of the fat from the bacon, but followed the rest exactly!! It's wonderful, Tea Jenny, and quick to make too!! Thank you for posting this terrific recipe.