Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I used to be a vegetarian in college and couldn't find enough recipes to satisfy my needs. I put this together and it was a wonderful addition to the college fare in the cafeteria!
- 1 lb beans, assorted,dry
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apples or 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- vegetable stock or water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup rice or 1 cup pasta, cooked
- Sort and rinse beans, then soak overnight in water.
- Drain beans and place in crockpot.
- Add vegetable juice, wine, soy sauce, and apple or pineapple juice.
- Cover with vegetable stock or water; the amount added depends on whether you prefer a soup (more liquid) or a stew (less).
- The juice adds just a tad of sweetness and the soy sauce adds depth and the tang of salt.
- Cook at high for 2 hours.
- Add vegetables, herbs, and spices, and cook for 5-6 hours at low until carrots and parsnips are tender.
- When tender, add rice or pasta and cook for one additional hour.
- Notes: For beans use 3 or 4 kinds, such as: black, red kidney, pinto, baby lima, lentil, and green and/or yellow split peas.
An easy and delicious recipe! You can add any vegetables your family enjoys. I found a 1 pound bag of 7 beans which was nice. I will be keeping this in my roation during the cool winter days. Not just for Vegans! Thanks!!!