Recipe by I'mPat
Suggested as a lunch in Jody Vassallo little ideas diabetes cookbook . Definately heartwarmer on a cold day or night when you only want a light meal.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This soup is good. I believe the cheesy toasts would be excellent with it but was not able to make them since we are gluten/yeast free. Saying that I used broken brown rice spaghetti pasta. I omitted the bell pepper & green beans (I thought I had some frozen, which I may have preferred to omit anyway), I used homemade chicken stock and followed the rest. It makes 6-8 servings for sure even with the omitted ingredients. I did have to simmer way longer than 5 minutes to get the carrots soft but that was good because it melded the flavours more. Made for MAKE MY RECIPE~Tag Game/ Christmas 2010.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 red capsicum (chopped, bell pepper)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 zucchini (chopped courgettes)
- 400 g tomatoes (13oz canned chopped)
- 8 cups chicken stock (salt reduced or vegetable stock 1.5 litres 48fl oz)
- 1 cup spaghetti (broken duruam wheat 200g 6 1/2oz)
- 400 g red kidney beans (rinsed and drained 13oz)
- 250 g frozen spinach (thawed 8oz)
- 100 g green beans (sliced 3 1/2oz)
- 2 slices bread (thick wholegrain cut into strips)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated 50g 1 2/3oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden and then add the capsicum (bell pepper), carrot and zucchini (courgettes) and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetable are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil and add the broken spaghettie and cook for 5 minuites or until the spaghettie is soft.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the kidney beans, thawed spinach and green beans and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Put the bread strips on a baking tray and toast on one side under a grill (broiler) preheated to medium and then turn the bread over, sprinkle with the parmesan and grill until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve thesoup with the toasts to the side.