Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pinto beans, cheese, and veggies on a cornmeal crust! Yum:)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups pinto beans
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix cornmeal with 2/3 cup cold water. Bring 2/3 cup water to boil and stir in cornmeal mixture. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and spread in a 13 by 9 pan(I usually use smaller round cake pans so the crust is thicker).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine beans, vegetables, and broccoli. Add basil/oregano to taste.
- Pour half the cheese onto the crust. Pour beans on top of cheese and then top with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and the bean mixture is solid/bubbling.
Unfortunately, we did not enjoy this recipe. : ( It took twice as long to cook and although I mixed in plenty of basil and oregano the flavor was very bland. Some seasoning in the crust and some salsa and cheddar in the body may save this dish, but, sadly, we will not be trying this recipe again.