Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Not just for lacto-vegetarians! Lots of fiber, with a wonderful Mexican flavor.
Make and share this Bean and Rice Casserole With a Kick recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1⁄2 onion, minced fine
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook brown rice (simmering on low heat for 1 hour in 3 cups water).
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add cooked brown rice to bowl; mix well.
- Put mixture into a large casserole dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes; cover for last 10 minutes.
This was good, but a bit mild for our tastes (we can handle alot of spice) I would like to make this again adding a can of diced tomato and a diced jalapeno or two.
Thanks for your recipe Spicy Gal. We are down in Mexico and this recipe appealed for the ingredients. We were really happy with the results and will be making this again when we go home! Nice comfort food - yummy with homemade salsa. Muchas Gracias!
Yum! This is excellent with the right amount of "kick". I made half the recipe and it was enough for 4 servings. I only made minor changes, using green onions (had some to use up) instead of reg. onion and white rice instead of brown. Thanks for posting this Spicy Gal!