Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Men's Health Tex-Mex recipe
Make and share this Bean and Pepper Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese or 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 12 flour tortillas
- Coat two 9 x 13-inch (3-L) baking dishes with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Mix the beans, ricotta, chili powder, and 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the cheddar in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the scallions and garlic; cook, stirring frequently; untill tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the salsa, tomato paste, peppers, and cilantro; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar.
- Briefly dip each tortilla into the sauce to coat and soften it. Place 2 rounded tablespoons (25 mL) of the bean filling on each tortilla. Fold a tortilla to enclose the filling, and then place, seam side down, in one of the baking dishes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Spoon the remaining sauce evenly over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) of cheddar/.
- Cover the baking dished loosely with foil and bake the enchiladas at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted and the sauce is hot and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes.