Recipe by Dancer^
This cholesterol-free tasty dish is virtually fat free and is prepared with only 1 tbsp. of oil. You can eat the whole pot. I have a trick after reading the reviews about the pasta soaking up the liquid. Cook the pasta seperate and drain put in a bowl next to the soup for serving. Put 2 or three good size spoonfuls in bottom of bowl then ladle the soup over it. Thats how i do it with pasta and rice soups.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups cut-up peeled fresh tomatoes or 1 1⁄2 lbs canned whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans and reserve liquid, rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package using unsalted water.
- Drain when cooked.
- Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is throughly heated.
- Stir occasionally.