Recipe by Jenny Frenny
A modified Betty Crocker recipe. I always make this with my leftover ham and ham bone after the holidays.
- 7 cups water
- 1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb great northern bean
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 ham bone
- 1 chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Put water and beans in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes then turn off burner and cover pot. Let the soup soak for 1-2 hours. (see other option).
- (option 2: Soak beans overnight in 7 cups of water. In the morning drain off water and rinse beans. Return beans to pot and add 6 cups of water. Add more or less water to your liking.).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmering and cover pot. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender. Add water while cooking to keep soup to your desired consistency.
- Remove bone from soup. Cut any meat from the bone and add it it the soup.