Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Really any kind of beans can be used in place of the white kidney beans, but we like those the best. You can make this using all broth if desired. I like to add in the carrots towards the end of the cooking time, as I find they become too soft, but of coarse you may add them in at any time. I have even thrown in some leftover chicken or turkey towards the end of cooking time...Serve the soup with large crusty buns to dip in the broth, you will love this, it is delicious!
- 8 -10 slices chopped bacon (or to taste)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (I use lots!)
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups coarsley chopped cabbage (about one small head of cabbage)
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth (or use all broth)
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped (with juice, can use a can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (white or brown) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups mini pasta shells, cooked
- 5 -6 large carrots, chopped
- grated parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add in onion, garlic and celery; stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in cabbage.
- Add in water, broth, tomatoes (with juice) Tabasco sauce and tomato soup; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 50-60 minutes (adding in carrots about the last 30 minutes of cooking time).
- Stir in beans and cooked shells; heat though for about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- **NOTE** a few teaspoons of sugar may be added if desired, it really helps improve the flavor of the soup, but this is only optional.
Very good soup which we enjoyed but instead of cooking the pasta seperately I added the uncooked pasta in with the carrots and it cooked with the carrots, cooking both the pasta and carrots without using an extra pan. Thanks for sharing this delicious comfort food soup!