Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this up last night from things I had in the pantry. It's very thick and filling. I used the spices that I like, feel free to use what you think tastes good. Use vegetable broth or water to make it vegetarian.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup bulgur
- 5 -10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredrients in a large soup pot.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes until bulghur is cooked through.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Exceptional soup. I added an extra tsp of chili powder and as suggested some chopped yellow and red peppers. I also added some kale. I made this in the rice cooker as well. Thanks for such an easy recipe.
This was fast, easy and good. It reminded me a lot of chili, just a little thinner and without the meat. I used all 10 garlic cloves with the lower amount of ancho chili powder but would use the higher amount next time or use 1 tbsp ancho powder with 1 tbsp regular chili powder. I also added some cheese and doubled the salt and would double the cumin as well next time and maybe add some instant minced onion. Thanks for sharing.
Super easy to make. I used white kidney beans (cannelini) and only half the bulghur because it was all I had. For us, it was plenty thick with only half. I think all of it may be too much for us. I did not use the chile because my kids do not like it. A good basic hearty soup that can be made easily. With some bread and brownies for dessert it was quite tasty on a cold night. Thanks!