Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a make ahead and store mix to be used with a variety of meats and broths.
Dry soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup anasazi beans
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried split green peas
- 1⁄4 cup dried red beans
- 1⁄4 cup white dried navy beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried pink beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried black turtle bean
- 1⁄4 cup dried split yellow peas (or any combination to make 2 1/4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon crushed basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- Layer all together in a jar or plastic bag.
- For preparation, add 8 C Chicken or Beef or Vegetable Broth, optional vegetables of your choice, 3 pounds meaty ham hocks or 1 pounds lean ham (or other type of meat) diced.
- include these directions: Sort and Rinse beans.
- In large covered pot combine beans with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, for 1 hour, (drain cover with water and refrigerate overnight) OR Drain and rinse.
- Combine beans with broth, rice, onion and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3-4 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir occasionally and add water as needed so that the beans are well covered.
- Add tomatoes the last hour of cooking.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- OR After draining beans combine all ingredients except tomatoes in a slow cooker on high for most of the day.
- Add tomatoes during last bit and serve remember to remove the bay leaf.
I have made this soup several times and forgot to post a comment. It is wonderful, my DH asks for it all the time. I make it easier by using one bag of assorted beans. And the last time I added kilbasa.