This is a make ahead and store mix to be used with a variety of meats and broths.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Dry soup mix
- 1/4 cup anasazi beans
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup dried split green peas
- 1/4 cup dried red beans
- 1/4 cup white dried navy beans
- 1/4 cup dried pink beans
- 1/4 cup dried black turtle bean
- 1/4 cup dried split yellow peas (or any combination to make 2 1/4 cups)
- 1Layer all together in a jar or plastic bag.
- 2For preparation, add 8 C Chicken or Beef or Vegetable Broth, optional vegetables of your choice, 3 pounds meaty ham hocks or 1 pounds lean ham (or other type of meat) diced.
- 3include these directions: Sort and Rinse beans.
- 4In large covered pot combine beans with 8 cups of water.
- 5Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- 6Remove from heat, for 1 hour, (drain cover with water and refrigerate overnight) OR Drain and rinse.
- 7Combine beans with broth, rice, onion and spices.
- 8Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3-4 hours or until beans are tender.
- 9Stir occasionally and add water as needed so that the beans are well covered.
- 10Add tomatoes the last hour of cooking.
- 11Remove bay leaf before serving.
- 12OR After draining beans combine all ingredients except tomatoes in a slow cooker on high for most of the day.
- 13Add tomatoes during last bit and serve remember to remove the bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Cooking Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean and Barley Soup Mix
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: