I really like the way mashing some of the beans gives the soup a thicker texture. This freezes VERY well, just leave out the cheese.Let it thaw in the fridge, then microwave to heat. Add a Cheese and Herb Corn muffin #22536, for a wonderful under 400 calorie lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1In a large soup pot, bring broth through rosemary to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes (this gives the stock a homemade taste, if I am using homemade stock I skip the 15 min and the other ingredients).
- 2Drain stock through a sieve and discard solids.
- 3Measure 1 cup of beans and mash with a fork.
- 4Heat oil in pan to medium, cook onion celery and carrot for 4 minutes.
- 5Add stock, tomatoes, beans (mashed and whole), and barley. Bring to boil, reduce heat simmer 15 minutes.
- 6Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 7Sprinkle with cheese.
- 8Serving is 1 cup of soup and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean and Barley Soup - Just over 200 Calories
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.8
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 132.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: