1/1 Photo of Bean and Bacon Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
6oz por ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beans, dried and soaked see note
- 1/2 lb bacon, ends and pieces,chopped fine
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large carrots, peel and diced
- 1 lb plum tomato, diced
- 1 gallon stock or 1 gallon water
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme, leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced (optional)
- 1Preparation Check the beans for stones.
- 2Pour boiling water over beans and let stand 1 hour or soak overnight and drain.
- 3Finely chop the bacon ends and pieces, or fat saved from a smoked ham, and cook it on a medium fire in a big pot to render the fat.
- 4Be sure the crumbs of fat are nicely browned, like crisp bacon.
- 5Add the cut up veggies (you can change the amounts to suit yourself, and add others too, ad lib) and saute in the fat.
- 6Add a few cloves of mashed garlic if you like it.
- 7Drain the beans and rinse them.
- 8Add the water or stock, beans and ham hock and herbs and spices.
- 9Bring to the boil, simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, maybe even more depending on beans, until they are very tender.
- 10Cut the fat and skin from the ham hock and dice it and return to the soup.
- 11I often cook a couple of extra ones and have beans and hocks as a meal.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13You can skim the fat, but in the cold winter, it tastes good.
- 14The colder it is, the better you will like fatty soups.
- 15If you cook it long enough, the beans and everything will break down and puree, combining with the fat to make a"creamy" consistency, that is much admired by"beanies.
- 16"I like to finish the soup with sliced kielbasa.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bean and Bacon Soup
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 72.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 112.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock