Prep 25 mins
Cook 11 hrs
Great soup to start the night before or early in the morning. If you prefer a thicker soup, mash some of the beans before adding the tomatoes. Taco seasoning and bacon, add a nice touch for this cool weather soup.
- 1 1⁄4 cups mixed dried beans
- 5 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 4 slices fried bacon, crumbled
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place dried beans in a large stockpot, and cover with 5 cups water.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, and cook an additional 2 minutes over high heat.
- Remove pot from heat and allow to stand, covered for 1 hour. Return pot to stovetop and cook covered for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, or until beans are tender, and drain.
- Combine cooked beans onion, 3 cups water, bacon, and taco seasoning in a slow cooker.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Add tomatoes, stir well, and cook an additional 30 minutes.
I tagged this in For Your Consideration game by just reading the ingredients. I'm not sure that all of this rime is really needed, It's is a two day project, mind you it's certainly not difficult and most of the time is just waiting. I replaced the bacon with ham as I don't often have bacon in the house and when I do it's turkey bacon and it was excellent with ham. The beans (Great Northern, pinto and red beans) were very well cooked and on the verge of becoming mushy 6 hrs into the slow cooking and that's the only reason for the 4 stars instead of 5. The soup was great last evening with garlic and parsley biscuits. So tasty and comforting. I would recommend this. You may not have the early finish time that I did but you might. I'm convinced that the new slow cookers all use a considerably higher heat that the older ones. did.