Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make. Great winter soup.
- 5 -6 slices bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- In a large pot, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon.
- Pour off most bacon dripping but RESERVE about 1 tbsp of the bacon drippings in the pot.
- Saute and cook garlic, onion, carrots and celery in hot bacon drippings.
- Add beans, chicken broth, parsley, pepper and cumin to vegetables.
- Heat until simmering.
- Crumble bacon and add to soup.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring often for about 15 minutes.
There is just no way a quickie soup like this can have the depth of flavor of a long simmered soup. Having said that, this soup is just fine for a day when you don't have the time for anything but a quickie.
Very good soup indeed, though mine was different, using "veggie bacon"... my whole family ate it up. Especially good with garlic bread! Market Tag 2008.
Wonderful soup for a brisk Fall day! I made exactly as directed. Thanks so much, Parsley!