Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 lb dry navy beans, sorted and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried parsley
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with water and soak overnight; drain and rinse.
- Add water, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp; remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Add onions and bell pepper to pan drippings; sauté until tender.
- Add to beans along with carrots.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add tomato sauce and parsley.
- Cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving with reserved bacon crumbled on top.
Loved the soup! I changed it a bit. I used canned beans and put in a hole package of uncooked bacon. Then just let it simmer.