Recipe by cuisinebymae
This soup is simple and delicious.
Top Review by swartzakitty
i believe this is the soup i've been looking for. the test will be my 93 yr. old who's mom used to make it. i remember the bacon being fried and sauting the vegs. and the navy beans and tomaooe. thank you so much,chef 249610
- 2 (19 ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and reserve. Leave about 1 tbsp bacon fat in skillet. Add carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and tomato paste.
- Add beans, chicken broth, and water.
- Simmer, covered, until vegetables are done and soup is the consistency you like.
- Additional water can be added if it gets too thick. Partially mash before serving.