Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful weeknight supper from my favorite cooking magazine Cooking Light.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cansother white beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic, undrained
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Remove from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons dripping in pan.
- Add onions, chili powder, and mustard to drippings in pan, saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in bacon, water, and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Partially mash the beans with a potato masher.
This is absolutely the best bean soup I have ever tasted. Hands down.
1/11/08 - This is an update on the review below. I have now made my 3rd batch of this soup and I learned that I should double this recipe. This is going into my "It's So Good" Cookbook! This will definitely be repeated often in my house! Bobtail DH and I LOVED this soup! There is nothing so good as a pot of soup on the stove when it is cold outside. This was quick and easy to prepare. I will definitely be sure I keep these ingredients on had. I added 3 more slices of bacon (for me, more bacon is always good) and only had plain diced tomatoes on hand, so I added some roasted garlic that I had in the freezer. We love the tomato based flavor with the sweet smokiness of the molasses. Delicious and great on a very cold winter day! Thanks Asha! Update: I sent the leftovers to my mom and she said this soup was delicious! So I am off to grocery store to get more beans and make another batch of this soup, per request of DH.
Made this for lunch today and it smells and tastes so good! My sour dough bread is buttered and waiting! Thank you AshaK for posting this recipe.