Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love navy beans and bacon so I came up with this soup.
- 1 lb dried navy beans (Soaked in water overnight or quick soak method)
- 6 slices bacon, from butcher chopped in pieces (thick slices)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄3 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup choppeed onion
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups beef stock
- celery salt
- Cook bacon in soup pot till browned but still limp.
- Remove bacon from pan and reserve two tablespoons bacon fat.
- Cook carrots,onions, and celery in bacon fat over medium heat till soft.
- add beans and broth to soup pot with bacon and veggies.
- Bring to boil and turn heat down to simmer for 1/1/2 hours.
- Season with celery salt and pepper and serve with crusty bread and butter.
This recipe was delicious! So easy to make, yet the flavor was great. I doubled the recipe and put a full pound of bacon and added just a little garlic & 1 bay leaf. Definitely will make this again, the family loved it too. Thanks! :)
A simple to make, yet soul satisfying meal that was perfect on a cool winter evening. Thank you.
Made this today after hearing it was only going to be 3 degree. It was great, every buddy loved it. There wasn't even enough left for the dog. Thanks