Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found on net.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
- Stir in the carrots and spinach.
- Combine the egg, oil and water together and add to the flour mixture, mixing well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Shape pieces of dough into 1 1/2" sized balls.
- Flatten, then poke hole in center, forming bagel-like shapes.
- Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
After seeing loof's pics and review on My 3 Chefs had to give this a try for DGSs pup and he sure gives them 5 paws!! I did some minor changes, made it an even 1/2 wheat and half all-purpose flour (heard wheat is better for dogs) added a tablespoon of honey for sweetness, and had about 1/4 cup of broccoli getting old in the fridge so just threw that in too. Used the end of a wooden spoon to make the holes and when baking was done turned off the oven and left them inside to cool so they'd dry out even more. Came out nice and crunchy like they should be and Zues loves them. I'll be making more to give as gifts for Christmas this year to friends, but think I'll make them a little smaller so they'll not be such a big snack next time. Thanks so much for posting.
Great dog treats! These are easy to make and came out nice and crunchy as a dog biscuit should. My pup had 2 and wanted more - two paws up from him for sure! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs, November 2009