Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are the best! Makes me want to go live at the beach for about a month. I suggest buying a case of Shiner Bock, using 3 for this recipe and sharing the rest with some friends while the beans cook. From Coastal Cuisine Texas Style, Junior Service League of Brazosport cookbook, credited to Sandra Frazier. I make this in a stock pot, don't cut short the simmering time.
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 large red onions, chopped
- 6 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans with jalapeno peppers, drained
- 3 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving grease in skillet.
- Add onions to grease and cook until tender. Add fried bacon, beer, beef broth, tomatoes, cilantro and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
It's been a long time since I've been this enthusiastic about a recipe. What took it so long for someone to make I can't say. This was outstanding as per my BF and me. Since we are vegetarians, we used vegetarian bacon and veggie broth. Since I've had bad experiences with dark beer in some recipes, we used "Sierra Nevada" pale ale. BF said it smelled great cooking, just like his mother's bean soup so he put vinegar on it, GREAT! What other changes did I make? Couldn't find pinto beans and jalapenos so I added one jalapeno with the onions. Added brown sugar instead of white, and omitted the cilantro as we only like it in moderation in our salsa and added more hot sauce to taste. This was just too delicious, please try it! Will most certainly make this again. I made 1/3 the recipe but cooked it for the full 1 1/2 hours. SO GOOD!