Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 4 fluid ounces buttermilk
- Heat approximately 3 inches of pure vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix with a fork the following ingredients; corn meal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and buttermilk until thoroughly blended.
- Slowly stir egg mixture into cornmeal mixture forming a smooth batter.
- (The batter should be thick- additional cornmeal may be added if necessary).
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, drop balls into the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Serve piping hot.