Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a Balinese recipe using Ketjap Manis. Enjoy
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 600 g boneless pork shoulder or 600 g pork legs, cut in 2 cm cubes
- 3 inches gingerroot, peeled and chopped (8cm)
- 4 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 -10 birds eye chiles, left whole
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy saucepan.
- Add shallots and garlic and saute for 2 minutes over medium heat or until lightly coloured.
- Add pork and continue to saute for 2 more minutes on high heat.
- Add both lots of soy sauce and pepper and continue sauteing for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken stock and simmer over low to medium heat for approximately 1 hour.
- There should be very little sauce and the meat should be shiny and dark brown.
- If meat becomes too dry during cooking, add a little chicken stock.
Wow what a tasty recipe! This was an absolute hit with my partner and I, easy to make and delicious. The only thing we didn't do was put the chillis in, instead using a teaspoon full of dried (which made it spicy enough for us. We served it with blanched Chinese broccoli drizzled with oyster sauce and it was the best meal we've had in ages.
Very easy dish to prepare. I used pork chops and not cubes. I also used 1 dried cayenne chili in place of the birds eye chilis. It turned out great. Thankyou for the very tasty recipe. I will definitely make this again.