Whipped these up today to have for supper tonight! I looked for a recipe like this here and couldn't find one, so I made one. A nice way to mix up the zucchini bounty we all get in the summer. Presents well. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large zucchini (about 9-inch long)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 8 mushrooms (halved and sliced)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 orzo pasta (cooked and drained)
- 2Combine tomato, onion, zucchini, oil and basil. Set aside.
- 3Meat filling:
- 4Trim ends of zucchini and slice lengthwise.
- 5Scoop out flesh leaving 1/2" walls to resemble a "boat".
- 6In a large deep pan steam zucchini cut side down for about 5 minute (I had to turn mine half way through to cook both ends) Set aside.
- 7In a deep dish skillet brown meat and drain.
- 8Add onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Sauté with meat until onion is soft and clear.
- 9Add tomato sauce, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes uncovered.
- 10When 5 minutes remain stir in cooked orzo. Finish simmering.
- 11Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 12Quickly stir in egg.
- 13Add bread crumbs and stir well.
- 15Pat zucchini dry and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- 16Prepare a BBQ bake sheet (I used an old cookie sheet) with foil making the foil hang about 1 1/2-2" to make "walls" on your pan.
- 17Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
- 18Spoon meat mixture into zucchini boats evenly pushing gently along the center to make a slight "well" in the mixture.
- 19Evenly spoon bruschetta mix into wells.
- 20Sprinkle all with cheese.
- 21Place pan on BBQ and close lid.
- 22Let cook without lifting lid for 20 minutes.
- 23Turn pan 180 degrees.
- 24Let cook an addition 10-15 minutes (lid down) or until meat mix is bubbling and cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ'd Meat Stuffed Zucchini W/ Bruschetta Topping
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.7
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 111.8 mg
- Sodium 1061.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: