1 hr 10 mins
Annie in Istanbul's Note:
I live in Istanbul,Turkey and recently I was at a restaurant where they served this fabulous meal. In Turkey, the plums are called Malta plums, a yellow, bruised looking plum that is sweet and sour in flavor. However, any sweet and sour fruit will do, for example, purple plums may work nicely. Fell free to adjust measurements of ingredients as I did when I made these the other day as I didn't get a recipe I just remembered the ingredients. If you aren't watching your weight, the fattier the lamb the better!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the ground lamb, salt, pepper and garlic powder and make medium sized meatballs.
- 2Cut the plums in half, discarding the seed.
- 3Set three plums aside for the sauce.
- 4On a skewer,"sandwich" the meatballs in between the plums, make three meatball"sandwiches" per skewer.
- 5Meanwhile, roughly chop the tomatoes, three plums, onions and garlic.
- 6Saute' the onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter until soft, making sure to use a medim to large saute pan.
- 7Add tomatoes and plums and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- 8During this time, keep checking to make sure it doesn't dry up, and add the cup of water as needed.
- 9Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- 10The sauce should be the consistency of a chunky marinara sauce.
- 11BBQ the skewers until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- 12The plums should be soft.
- 13Remove the skewers to the sauce pan and saute the skewers, turning from time to time, in the sauce for about 5-10 minutes minutes.
- 14Serve with meat and plums still on the skewers doused in the sauce.
- 15Eat with crusty bread to sop up the wonderful leftovers!
- 16Afiyet Olsun!
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bbq'd Lamb Meatballs With Plums in Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.1
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.2 mg
- Sodium 68.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 15.0 g