Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I live in Istanbul,Turkey and recently I was at a restaurant where they served this fabulous meal. In Turkey, the plums are called Malta plums, a yellow, bruised looking plum that is sweet and sour in flavor. However, any sweet and sour fruit will do, for example, purple plums may work nicely. Fell free to adjust measurements of ingredients as I did when I made these the other day as I didn't get a recipe I just remembered the ingredients. If you aren't watching your weight, the fattier the lamb the better!
- Combine the ground lamb, salt, pepper and garlic powder and make medium sized meatballs.
- Cut the plums in half, discarding the seed.
- Set three plums aside for the sauce.
- On a skewer,"sandwich" the meatballs in between the plums, make three meatball"sandwiches" per skewer.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the tomatoes, three plums, onions and garlic.
- Saute' the onions and garlic in the olive oil and butter until soft, making sure to use a medim to large saute pan.
- Add tomatoes and plums and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- During this time, keep checking to make sure it doesn't dry up, and add the cup of water as needed.
- Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- The sauce should be the consistency of a chunky marinara sauce.
- BBQ the skewers until cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- The plums should be soft.
- Remove the skewers to the sauce pan and saute the skewers, turning from time to time, in the sauce for about 5-10 minutes minutes.
- Serve with meat and plums still on the skewers doused in the sauce.
- Eat with crusty bread to sop up the wonderful leftovers!
- Afiyet Olsun!