Recipe by Cat^..^atude
I have done beer can chicken in the oven, but it can also be done on a wet plank in the barbecue. Outcome is nice and moist with a smoky flavor!! Yum Yum Always prepare plank in advance, by soaking minimum 1hour,up to 24 hours. If well soaked and closely monitored during cooking times, planks can be used more than once. If you have a metal bucket, or a lake like we do, resoak the plank, and it can be used again next barbecue. Also, planks can be soaked in liquids other than water.. Example... apple juice, beer, wine .. Use your imagination.
Top Review by Hey Jude
I love cooking food on planks. My husband and I loved the addition of the spices in this recipe. I made this for company and served with cole slaw and oven fries, Very good! I had no additional spices to add to the beer can and have to add that I drank half of the beer before sticking the chicken on the can. I grilled this on a gas grill, using indirect heat and it took about an hour to to reach the correct temp. thanks for posting this cat-atude (I'm too lazy to add all the stuff inbetween the cat and tude). We'll definitely be making this again next grill season :)
- 1 whole chicken
- 355 ml beer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat barbecue to 350°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients
- Rub outside and inside of chicken. Any leftover spice can be added to the beer in the can.
- Insert the can of beer into the chicken cavity from the bottom opening of the chicken. For additional flavor, rub plank with clove of garlic. Using the legs,of the chicken, balance chicken on prepared plank.
- Grill or bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until internal temperature is 180°F.