Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm a zucchini lover. There. I said it. When the garden starts producing, we will eat zucchini every night, unless someone protests. This is but one of the many yummy ways to enjoy this dish.
- 1 medium zucchini (can sub half of a huge one)
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon your favorite barbecue rub (your preference)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce (I prefer the smoky sweet kind)
- Preheat non-stick skillet with 1 tablespoon oil to approximately 250 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini to desired thickness. I like mine about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with BBQ rub on both sides of zucchini. Mix in sliced onions.
- Place zucchini and onions into preheated skillet and cover. Cook about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn zucchini over. Stir onions. Cook, covered, another 3 minutes or so.
- Slide vegetables to side of skillet. Pour barbeque sauce into the center of the skillet. Let it "melt" a little, then stir vegetables and sauce together.
- Cover. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
This is really good! I used Penzeys BBQ 3000 spice, but I do think I would add a little garlic next time. I would bet you could get the pickiest child to eat zucchini with the BBQ sauce on it! With grilled meat this would be an amazing side dish, but it is also wonderful as a light luncheon main course. Thanks for the tasty recipe.