Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A meatless version of an old classic.
Top Review by OneEye
I made this in my small crock this past weekend and have been eating it for lunches each day. It's very tasty. I used a couple of additional spices (1/2 tsp each of dry mustard and chili powder and 1/4 tsp of paprika) in the sauce, to match a barbecue sauce recipe I've used for ribs. I forgot to add the vinegar at the end, however, but I haven't missed it so far. I'll try to remember next time.
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 5 pita breads, cut in half to form pockets (6-inch diameter)
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Add lentils and water to a saucepan; bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and lentils w/ water into a 4-quart slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10-12 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Just before serving, add vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.
- Fill pita pocket with a lettuce leaf and 1/2 cup lentil mixture.