Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My wife has told me to only cook turkey like this from now on.
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 13 lbs whole turkey
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 3 oranges, quartered
- Combine garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, chili powder, and butter.
- Clean turkey. Separate skin on turkey. Smear butter mixture on turkey, inside and out.
- Quarter oranges and insert in turkey.
- Put 2 cups broth, onions, and carrot in roasting pan. Place turkey on roasting rack in pan. Grill over indirect medium heat until done, about 3 hours.
- When done, let rest for 30 minute and then carve.
This was my fourth time using this recipe, and thought I should finally write a review! It is the best Turkey i have ever tasted and have now converted my whole family and co-workers to cooking it this way. I used what ever spices I have on hand, but ALWAYS use the broth and oranges. Amazing recipe!
I used hickory wood smoking packages on the grill and used Montreal Chicken rub on the bird, so I only vary loosely followed this recipe... but putting the turkey in the roasting pan and using the broth made for a ridiculously tender bird. People raved about the moisture and flavour.
I found this a whole bunch of years ago and made it several times. Then was sad because I lost the recipe. This is by far the absolute best way to cook a turkey. Super moist and flavorful. Everyone is always amazed that it was grilled. And I get to use my oven for other things. It's really easy...give it a try you won't be disappointed. I am stoked to have found it again.