Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs 20 mins
If you wish you can put pepper pieces, small onions or mushrooms between the tofu. If you haven't tried tofu, try this recipe you may surprise yourself and like It.
- 1 (1 lb) package extra firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice (or use spicy tomato)
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Cut tofu into 1 x 1 1/2" cubes and place in shallow dish.
- In a saucepan combine the tomato juice, oil, paprika, chili powder, oregano, thyme, mustard, Worcestershire sauce (be sure to use a brand that does not contain anchovies to make this recipe vegetarian), hot pepper, and salt & pepper.
- Heat until boiling.
- Brush all over the tofu so all sides are coated.
- Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or you can marinate in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- Thread tofu on four skewers.
- Place on greased grill and BBQ for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally.
This was easy to make but unfortunately my tofu kabobs did not soak up this marinade after 2 hours. Once on the grill, the tomato based marinade burned. I think this might be a wonderful marinade if the base were something other than tomato juice.
I love kabobs and these were quite good. I threaded them with onion slices, red bell peppers, and mushrooms and rather than grilling them, just broiled them in my oven. My one discrepancy was that the marinade was a little bland. I followed the recipe exactly and marinated the tofu in my fridge for about 8 hours and pressed the tofu first in hopes to make it absorb more of the flavor of the marinade and be easier to thread on the skewers (I only had one break and fall off the skewers, which is more than I can say for the mushrooms). I will probably make something similar to this again, but work to make the marinade more flavorful. It was nice, however, to have a flavor with tofu other than the typical soy sauce/teriyaki norm. Thanks for posting Bergy! I'm off to see what other yummy tofu recipes you have to offer me ;-)